[Skimmertalk] Fwd: Re: Red Pitaya modifications

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Sat Oct 27 14:17:03 EDT 2018

So why not just using the impedance transformer which meanwhile is offered also by Red Pitaya officially?

https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/XFMR/

73
Saki

Gesendet: Samstag, 27. Oktober 2018 um 20:05 Uhr
Von: "Jeffrey Pawlan" <jpawlan at pawlan.com>
An: skimmertalk at contesting.com
Betreff: [Skimmertalk] Fwd: Re: Red Pitaya modifications
Skimmertalk list disallowed my previous emails because it was sent as
HTML rich text rather than plain text.

Here it is again for all RP users:

It was I who wrote last Fall that putting a transformer on the input is
a poor bandage at best.  I already have experience building and
modifying SDR receivers to match to 50 ohms and also utilize the full
dynamic range of the A/D converter.  The Germans are doing the same
thing. It is published in all of the Linear Technology A/D converter
datasheets. The ICs on the R.P. are from Linear._
___
Once the R.P. input circuit is replaced with the correct circuit, it
will be close to 50 ohms impedance.  If the board designer is willing to
make a proper PCB layout, it will save you considerable time and effort.
Instead, you can do this by hand but it requires dexterity and patience.
Make sure you use the correct transformers shown in the datasheet. You
can wind your own on a core but it will not be as small and the
frequency response will not be as good.

This circuit change has no important effect on the software or firmware.
The displayed gain or signal level will be different but I doubt that
you are using this receiver as a calibrated signal level measurement
tool.  I do not have a R.P. nor have used one so I do not know if there
was a way in software to change the gain of the input amplifier. If
there was, then that is the only change to the software as the input
amplifier will be removed so that function would do nothing.

The improvement will be between 20 and 30dB more dynamic range.

73,

Jeffrey Pawlan  WA6KBL