[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] Red Pitaya modifications

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jan 27 13:31:44 EST 2019

This is the link to new SDR:

https://www.redpitaya.com/n86/new-stemlab-sdr

which they are calling the STEMlab 122.88-16 SDR (a very hard name to
remember).

I wrote directly to the CEO of the Red Pitaya company who had previously
helped me purchase all of the RP impedance transformers
<https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/XFMR> that I redistributed to many folks on this
list.  Unfortunately, he no longer works for the company.  :-(  I don't
know the name of the new CEO.  I was given the name of a Sales manager, but
he has not responded to any of my emails yet.

We also have to understand that Pavel Demin's SDR software will need some
modifications to work on this new board, and it may cost a lot more than
the old one, since it could be a low-volume item compared to their prior
products.

FYI, the old metal case won't work with the new board, because the new
board doesn't appear to have a rounded edge at the front.  The old acrylic
case may work OK.

In sum, if you're in a hurry to put a multi-band SDR on the RBN *now*, buy
the current Red Pitaya board and a transformer or two.  It could be a long
time before the new Red Pitaya SDR comes out, and it could take a while
after that before the new software and hardware becomes as stable and
reliable as the current implementation.

73,
Bob, N6TV