[Skimmertalk] skimmer server crash

David Robbins k1ttt.dave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:16:48 EDT 2019

Ok, I found the source of my skimmer server crashing. it crashes when the
aggregator for the rtty skimmer server ON THE OTHER COMPUTER switches ini
files.

Setup is new rp-16 with first receiver going to one computer with aggregator
and cw skimmer server through hermes and cwsl_tee, the second receiver goes
to a different computer through hermes and cwsl_tee to rtty skimmer server
and its on aggregator.   I can switch the cw skimmer back and forth between
ini files with no problem, but even pressing the now button for the same ini
the rtty skimmer is using crashes the cw server.

First.  switch the rtty skimmer server back to it's own old rp instead of
using the second interface to the new rp-16. switch ini files and cw skimmer
still crashes!  now how does that work???  the old rp and rtty skimmer
computer are on their own switch, separate from the rp-16 and it's computer.
This had been working fine until I tried turning off the old rp and using
the second interface on the new rp-16.

Now, why?????  Something on the network must be disrupting the rp data.
Break out wireshark and monitor the network data.  Now, remember, wireshark
isn't going to see all the data between the rp and the computers because
they are on isolated switches, it will only see broadcast data that goes to
the whole network. that should be ok as I am looking for something that is
crossing between switches anyway.  So get cw skimmer running and manually
start the rtty skimmer, cw skimmer crashes.  wireshark shows the rtty
skimmer computer is looking for the interface on the rp-16 even though the
cwsl cfg file is telling it to use the old rp.  which it is also looking
for.

Enough of the long story, I went back and forth for about 2 hours trying
different combinations of rtty skimmer server and cw skimmer server on the
other computer and kept crashing the cw server on the new rp. until I
remembered the drop list on the cw skimmer server showing all the possible
devices you could select from and realizing that in order to build that list
the server would have to search the directory and load each of the dll's
which would initialize it and cause it to try to connect to the data source.
The fix was to remove the extra instances of the hermes dll for the other
devices from the directory so the skimmer software wouldn't try to load
them. yes, apparently even though the rtty skimmer doesn't build a list for
you to see it must be loading all the dll's in the directory.

But now the question is, why does connecting to the second interface on the
rp-16 break the cw skimmer server running on the first interface??  Is that
a bug in the rp-16 software??   Has anyone else seen crashes like that??

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail:  <mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net> mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web:  <http://wiki.k1ttt.net/> http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node:  <telnet://k1ttt.net:7373/> telnet://k1ttt.net:7373