[Skimmertalk] RP-16 front end tenderness

Ted Gisske gisske at offex.com
Thu Jul 11 11:23:52 EDT 2019

I’m going to build mine into my old-school DXE protector-in-a-mini-box. Plenty of room. I also have a new-issue DXE protector in a die-cast box, which may fit, too.

One other thing about receiver protection…If you are using a pre-amp, you need a limiter both before and after the preamp. The limiter before the preamp protects the preamp and the one after the preamp protects the receiver. The pre-preamp limiter sets the max input voltage to the preamp to 2V P-P. That 2V, multiplied by the preamp gain, is then presented to the receiver input. Some preamps saturate pretty early, but the good ones will club your receiver like it was a baby seal, with 8-10V P-P.

If you just put one protector in your antenna line, the preamp will likely live, but the front end of the receiver could well get zorched.