[Skimmertalk] Anyone got this to work?

Wes Cosand wes.cosand at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:47:43 EDT 2019

I would affirm Bob's view.  Pavel and  Björn's software just runs and
runs.  It is reliable in my hands.  And it doesn't require any of your
computer CPU -- just a terminal program to set it up.

Of course, the big impediment is having to remember or look up the UNIX
commands you learned 30 years ago and then figure out how they
transmogrified into LINUX commands.  But  Björn's documentation helps a lot.

If FT4 becomes a big deal in contesting, as I expect it will, then it will
be nice to have FT8Startup, CWSL_SSBWave, VAC and WSJT-X all available.

Wes WZ7I

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv at arrl.net> wrote:

> Ted et al.,
>
> Just to review, there is a much simpler way to generate FT8 spots from a
> Red Pitaya.  You do NOT need to run FT8Startup, CWSL_SSBWave, Virtual Audio
> Cable (VAC) or any other programs on Windows, not even a single copy of
> WSJT-X.
>
> The FT8 decoding logic and almost everything you need is already
> pre-installed on the Red Pitaya SD Card (in Pavel's Alpine Linux
> distributions), ready to be enabled.  The only downside is that you do have
> to dedicate a Red Pitaya to FT8 decoding, since it can only run one one app
> at a time, either sdr_receiver_hpsdr (for CW/RTTY Skimmer) or
> sdr_transceiver_ft8. but not both at the same time.
>
> But buying a second Red Pitaya, or using an older one, is so much easier
> than setting up a Windows machine to do multi-band FT8 decoding, plus you
> don't have to worry about WSJT-X filling up your Windows hard disk with
> .WAV files.
>
> The Red Pitaya FT8 app. automatically reports what it decodes to
> PSKReporter.info, and can "optionally" send the same reports to the RBN via
> the Aggregator, with no other Windows software required.
>
> SM7IUN has excellent documentation explaining the procedure in detail,
> including handy setup scripts that automatically rotate between any 8 bands
> for day, night, and dawn/dusk.
>
> https://sm7iun.ekelund.nu/red-pitaya/ft8-skimmer
>
> I would strongly suggest trying this alternative before investing any
> effort into doing the same job on Windows, or buying another PC.  Just
> follow all the steps, or if you get stuck, ask for help here.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

Wes Cosand
6299 Route 413