[Skimmertalk] time sync?

David Robbins k1ttt.dave at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 17:39:10 EDT 2019

A couple questions about syncing time on pc's. I had been setting windows
and my webcams to sync with time.nist.gov, but recently that has been
failing on several different machines. both on a webcam that I think runs
some kind of cut down linux, and on win7 and win10 boxes.  Time.windows.com
seems to work on the ones that time.nist.gov fails on, but I'm not sure how
accurate it is.  I have 2 machines that run wsjt-x when nothing else is
happening and 2 machines that run cw skimmer server and rtty skimmer server
24/7, plus the n1mm+ logging network that needs to sync to something for
multi-op contests, plus 2 webcams that time stamp photos that I would like
to be at least reasonably close.

Questions.

1.       Does anyone know if there is a difference between time.windows.com
and time.nist.gov that would make some machines fail to sync on one but work
on the other??

2.       I have a server, win 2012r2 that syncs to time.windows.com, would I
be better off setting all the lan machines to sync off it rather than doing
their own sync over the internet??

3.       Is there a better source than time.windows.com or time.nist.gov
that works reliably with windoze??

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail:  <mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net> mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web:  <http://wiki.k1ttt.net/> http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node:  <telnet://k1ttt.net:7373/> telnet://k1ttt.net:7373