[Skimmertalk] time sync?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jul 19 18:15:14 EDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:56 PM Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv at arrl.net> wrote:

> If you have no Internet access, you can use a "Hockey puck" GPS device to
> accurately set the time IF you have a real hardware serial port on your PC
> (does not work with USB-to-Serial adapters).  The simplest method, with
> documentation:
>
> http://www.dxatlas.com/ToyNtp/
>
> (Also works without hockey puck).

Correction:  I was thinking of Faros, which syncs time with several
internet time servers, or with ToyNTP.  ToyNTP itself only works with a
hardware GPS on a real serial port.

The Red Pitaya time and frequency can also be calibrated using the same GPS
hardware, as explained in Pavel's documentation, under "GPS Interface"

https://pavel-demin.github.io/stemlab-sdr-notes/sdr-transceiver-ft8/
 (RP-16)
https://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/sdr-transceiver-ft8/  (RP-14)

I asked him if a GPS could also be used to calibrate sdr_receiver_hpsdr.
Unfortunately, no.  He said that would be a non-trivial enhancement.

73,
Bob, N6TV