[Skimmertalk] Number in suffix

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon May 13 13:04:14 EDT 2019

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:31 AM N4ZR <n4zr at comcast.net> wrote:

>  If a majority of nodes worldwide use DXSpider, and DXSpider doesn't block
> weird formats, then it would follow that a majority of node users will see
> the 8N3 spots, whether they come from RBN nodes or other spotters.

They will not come very often from RBN nodes if the patt3ch.lst file is not
updated on the server, or we all update our private copies.

> The Skimmer Server code doesn't *preclude* spotting stations that do not
> conform with a pattern in the pattern file, it just requires more
> repetitions in the decoder channel before accepting it as a callsign.  Ten
> years ago, I worked with Alex to gin up and test the matrix of possible
> callsign formats and required repetitions.

In the past we have shown that callsigns that do not match any pattern in
the file will be spotted far less often.

> I just looked on the RBN website, and while 8G3G20 hasn't been spotted,
> there are loads of spots of 8N324A, a call structure that is not currently
> covered by the pattern file either.

First, the callsign is 8N3G2O (not 8G3, and the last letter is "oh" not
"zero" I think) .  It is being incorrectly spotted as 3G2O/3 per Dai's
message.

http://reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=3g2o/3&t=dx

Perhaps because that is because the closest pattern that matches is:

  3G2@

and the "8N3" is being miscoded as "/3".

As for 8N324A, perhaps those JA nodes have updated their private copies of
patt3ch.lst.  Or perhaps this "preferred" pattern (+) is considered a match:

+ 8N3@@@

73,
Bob, N6TV