[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] Red Pitaya 122-16 overload levels in CW Skimmer duty - DATA

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat Jun 18 15:29:20 EDT 2022

Got the RP122-16 checked out last night.

Test method:

Elecraft KG3 as CW test source
choke
HP 355/D/C step attn
9 pole LPF
7 pole LPF
MC 3:1 splitter

With the KG3 set at -33 dBm, the net output after losses of the filters
is -40 dBm.  The filtering is needed to be sure the KG3's square wave
and thus inclusive of 10m content (which runs about -35 to -40 dBc) is
reduced to undetectable levels.

The test procedure would be to setup the KG3 to call CQ, and look at the
SNR reported by skim server.  Increase input amplitude, repeat.

With this configuration, the results were that the onset of 10m spot
generation occurred at the point that skim server reported 60 dB SNR
levels.  The point was pretty crisp, in that I could get 58-59 dB SNR
consistently, but once I stepped up to the 60 dB SNR, I would start to
see 10m spot levels in the low-single-digit SNR, along with 20m spots.
The 20m spots would sometimes show a correct frequency and 60-61 dB SNR,
but more often than not would show significant errors in both frequency
and amplitude reported. In about 1/3-1/2 of the cases no spot was reported.

Change in BW (48/96/192) or threads allocated (1-32) did not affect the
results.  Other bands were not checked (I don't have a another set of
hammers-of-hell LPF to kill the 2nd harmonic of the KG3) and it may be
easier to figure out how to gate one of the HP sig gens to allow the
sending of code than to address the filtering - a project for another day.

If this test is an accurate reflection of actual use conditions, it
suggests that in the 20m case, the skimmer system's limits are these:

Overload point    -40 + 28 = -69 dBm    (~S9+8)
MDS / 2dB SNR:   - 126 dBm

Skim server is pretty responsive with spots down to the low single
digits but once you get to about 4dB SNR, they start coming slower.  I
saw a few 2dB spots, one 1dB spot and zero 0 dB SNR reports.  Hence the
MDS indicated at the 2 dB SNR level.

Points measured have roughly a +/-1 dB initiated tolerance - plus
instrumentation error.  Which means that these absolute levels may be
off by a couple of dB, but the relative DR of the system will be closer.

With my normal distribution feed, the peak 20m signal levels normally
encountered by the skimmer antenna results in a roughly -45 dBm peak
level.  This is about 20+ dBm too hot, in my case.

The normal caveats apply here.  This is a one-off test, of a novel test
method, which was completed at 3AM.  So I would love to see if another
guy who may have a suitable set setup could run a similar test to see if
the results could be duplicated.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com