OMNI6 Stuff

Jeff Steinman Jeff.Steinman.0247501@nt.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:16:30 +0000

                      Subject:                              Time:  =
4:06 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         OMNI6 Stuff                           Date:  =
2/20/96

I missed the original posting, but saw a reply, that mentioned a =
"growling" on an older OMNI 6. I too have noticed some starnge noises =
on my 6, which I picked up used about a month ago.

At first it seemed that the radio was just very noisy on 20M. Early =
one morning, as the band was just opening, I discovered that the noise =
I was hearing on 20CW was frequency dependent; it existed below 14050 =
but not  above it! I happen to have a DUNESTAR bandpass filter =
installed that day and when I switched in the 20M filter the noise =
essentially went away. I assume the front end is reacting negatively =
to some out of band signals, and the resulting noise was a mixing of =
those signals in the OMNI6 front end.

The biggest problem I seem to have w/ the OMNI6 is trying to ZERO =
beat! I have started to leave the RIT set to +200 Hz and that seems to =
help. But then I call CQ in a contest and I have people call me all =
over the place. Maybe I just notice it more on this radio...

My radio occasionally jumps 100KHz on 40M when interfaced to a =
computer; all the sudded the dial says 6.907 or something. It's =
annoying but easy enough to fix.

Lastly, my OMNI6 has, on occasion, refused to send CW  ( I use an =
external keyer). Turing the power off/on will cure this. Seems to be a =
microprocessor issue..

Any comments ??
73
Jeff Steinman KR0Y