Omni 6 ringing filters

Del Seay seay@alaska.net
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:54:18 -0700

Steve, N4LQ mentioned a possible cure for the "filter ringing" in
his OMNI-6. He found that TenTec had not filtered the regulated
voltage entering the IF/AF board.
I checked mine, and sure enough! A quick look with my Tektronix
scope showed garbage on the line. Steve had bypassed the line with a
.01 ufd cap. I used a 2200 uufd/Silver Mica and the problem is
definitely eliminated. I removed the board, drilled two lead holes in
the board and mounted the capacitor as normal on the board. It
took a total of about 15 minutes from unplug to plug in!
Steve suggested a top of board tack-on, which is fine, but not very
mechanically stable. But, if you don't haul the rig to field day, etc,
it should work fine.
A note to the engr's at TenTec is in order!
I recommend all Omni 6 owners take this step. Well worth the effort.
Thanks, Steve!!!!
Now - I hope one of us finds a cure for the steep front porch on
the keying waveform. If we cure that - it'll be a super radio.
de KL7HF