Advice from Scout/Argo 555/556 owners

Art Searle asearle@netusa.net
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:46:30 -0700

Scott Rosenfeld NF3I wrote:

> When I crank the volume down to nothing, I get what I can only describe
> as a "whine" out of the speaker or headphones, maybe 500-600 Hz.  When I
> spin the knob (tune the radio) it becomes modulated.
>
> Anyone else see this effect?  Most prominent when listening w/phones.

Ten-Tec says this is normal due to the fact that the headphone jack is really
an external speaker jack. The audio output is meant to drive a speaker. They
recommend installing a pad (or make a small jumper) in you headphones. This
consists of connecting one end of a 10 ohm resistor across the stereo leads on
the phone plug and the other to ground and a 390 to 470 ohm resistor in series
with headphone leads to the stereo phone plug.

72, de Art WU2K

--
72,73, de Art Searle, WU2K, Long Is., NY, ARRL Life Member
QRP-L #524, QRP ARCI #9123, NorCal pending, DXCC MX & CW HR