Omni VI 2nd order IMD Mod

H. L. Serra hlserra@pwa.acusd.edu
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:05:19 -0800 (PST)

Del- I think there are two separate Tentec mods you all are discussing
here, both involving only a few parts. The first is the mod to effect
better second and third order IMD rejection, a quick and dirty version of
Rohde's suggestion in QST to change all the front end switching diodes to
PIN diodes, which have a higher resistance to rectification of strong
signals. Tentec's answer to this is to switch out the resistors which set
the switching voltage through the exisitng Tentec diodes. Their engineer
told me that raising that voltage on the existing diodes substantially
increases the reluctance of the diodes to rectification-- it's provable
according to a formula. The second mod also uses just a few parts, and is
meant to increase the resistance of the product detector to IMD from two
or more strong signals LEGITIMATELY within the passband of the OMNI. G4PKT
or someone produced a daughterboard to fit right on the OMNI product
detector board, and which contains a higher order product detector than
the one on the OMNI, which is bypassed. I installed the daughterboard and
it does work better than the old one-- even with strong signals within the
filter passband. For example, on CQ Alley on 20M and 40M during CW tests,
you can hear all the signals separately, even weaker ones. Tentec claims
that their mod using a couple of parts works just as well at no expense
(the daughterboard is about $80-90, and installation takes a few hours). I
really cannot judge how well their mod works, since I only have the G4PKT
daughterboard. 73, Larry N6AZE