Omni Lineage

Steve Runyon WQ5G 512-838-7008 steve@austin.ibm.com
Thu, 16 May 96 15:47:18 -0600

I can comment a bit on the Omni D, as I currently own one...
The Omni D is the digital readout version of the Omni A (as
Clark WA3JPG noted).

The Omni D came with 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 15 and 10m.
I have added the optional 12m kit as well. However, I was told by
TenTec that a 17m kit is not available for the D, something
to do with 18.x MHz being 2x the IF frequency (I think).

Optional filters include the 1.8kHz and 500Hz (I don't know if
a 250Hz filter was avail, but if it was I would like to buy one!)

One nice feature of the Omni-D, which is not available on the
V or VI - I have the optional external VFO (this is required to work
split freq - unless you have REALLY FAST hands :-). With the
external VFO, I can also listen to two freq's simultaneously.

This is VERY useful to me when I am trying to find what freq
somebody operating split is listening. For example, it was a great
help to me with the ZL8RI expedition - really speeds up finding the
listening freq!

In fact, when TenTec offers this as an option on a new rig - I will
buy it. Until then, guess I'll hang on to the old Omni D.
73 de Steve WQ5G