omni v keying "pop"

k4mw@esinet.net k4mw@esinet.net
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:23:07 -0500 (EST)

Gentlemen,

        I recently purchased a used OMNI-V that exhibits a strange and
annoying behavior.  When keying the transceiver (either CW or SSB) a
pronounced POP comes from the speaker or headphones.  Subsequent dits and
dashes in the same letter or within a very brief period of time do not cause
the pop to reoccur.  However, a pause of even a few (1-3) seconds before
keying again will cause the pop to be heard again.  I.E. Were I sending "R
599 VA TU" at a reasonable speed (25wpm or so) I would hear "POP R 599 VA
TU".  Were I to send slower I would hear a pop prior to every word, and if I
sent even slower (like 10wpm) I would hear a pop before every letter.  On
SSB I hear it every time I press the footswitch to begin talking. So, there
is a time-factor involved here, but other than that I'm at a loss.

        Anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions about how to
go about fixing it without mailing the rig back to Sevierville?

Thanks for your time,

Pete/K4MW

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html