[TenTec] The Paragon Fix

Jay E Ostrem wc7m@vcn.com
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 19:24:13 -0700 (MST)

At 09:40 PM 4/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Paragon owners,
>
>I just acquired a used Paragon, which has an interesting malady.  Here are
>the symptoms:
>
>When I switch the rig to transmit, and then speak, I get a pop in the
>speaker.  If I hold the rig in transmit for awhile, then speak, the pop is
>weaker.  If I wait 10 seconds before speaking, no pop occurs.
>
>If I have the processor turned on, and blow into the mic, the meter
>deflects, even though I am still in the receive mode, (VOX off).  This
>doesn't occur with the processor off.
>
>Anyone had a problem like this?
>
>                            73
>
>			    Jay W7CW in Gillette, Wyoming
>
>                            On the 1AB Ranch in Campbell County
>
>                            (previously WC7M)
>
>                             W7CW was previously held by Simon Hess
>                                         SK 1912-1994

Hey Guys, I contacted TenTec and spoke with the service department.  The fix
is as follows:

Go to page 6-27 in your manual.  This is the IF/AF board.  Locate pin 5 on
IC U-10.  R-90 is connected to this pin.  Connect a 470K resistor between
pin 5 and ground.  The easiest way to do this (as far as I can see) is to
solder the resistor to one end of R-90(check the pictorial to get the proper
end) and the other end around the nearest circuit board screw.

It works!  No more popping or cracking.  The value doesn't seem too
critical, I used two 1Meg resistors in parallel (all I had, the whole state
is closed down due to snow).

The meter problem I described is normal, just don't leave the meter switch
in PROC.