[TenTec] Computer control

Ten-Tec, Inc. sales@tentec.com
Tue, 05 Aug 1997 11:28:23 Eastern Daylight Time

At 09:26 AM 8/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Just curious...Since I am a Ten Tec Owner Want-to-be, why does the Paragon
>need a RS232 board...Or put another way, what is he going to do with it? Do
>the Ten Tec's not come with an 'accessory' jack similar to the Kenwoods that
>will allow interfacing with a computer for rig control?
>How expensive is the board?
>Thanks,
>Ron

Hi Ron:

On the original Paragon 585 transceiver only, the RS-232 interface
was offered as an optional item.  This was standard equipment on the
Omni-V (with a unique command interface) and is standard equipment
on the Omni-VI, Omni-VI Plus, and Paragon II.  The current interface
has a DB-25 connector for a direct computer connection (no external
level converter required), and a separate two-line interface
(requiring a level converter).  "PC Ready" in its true sense.
The current computer interface also emulates an Icom transceiver in
computer control mode, so even if a given piece of software does not
support Ten-Tec transceivers specifically it will still operate with
our rigs.

There is a wide variety of software available for use with
the Paragon II, Omni VI and Omni VI Plus, from contest specific
software like TR, CT, and NA to more versatile software like DX4WIN,
the WJ2O products, LogWindows, and Omnilog-5000.  We have never
authored a rig control program for our transceivers and have no plans
to do so at present, nor do we specifically endorse any manufacturer's
software package for use with our rigs.

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
  Contact Mon-Fri Eastern time:  Office/Tech (423) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
  Repair (423) 428-0364 8 am-4 pm.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
  Fax (423) 428-4483 24 hrs.  E-mail <sales@tentec.com> for sales and
  general product info only.  We presently do not offer repair or
  kit building tech support by electronic mail, please telephone.
  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>

  Ten-Tec manufactures amateur radio equipment, military and commerical
  use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel enclosures and has an
  on-premises, fully equipped tool and die facility supplying the metal
  and plastic injection mold industries.  Potential tool and die, custom
  enclosure or communications electronics customer?  Contact us.
  We do small quantity jobs.