[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Digest V1 #153

Chuck (Jack) Hawley c-hawley@uiuc.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:20:20 -0500

Ten Tec Digest wrote: Date: Mon, 11 Aug 97 21:25:37 -0500

> From: Steve Sacco KC2X <kc2x@inspace.net>
> Subject: [TenTec] Query: Hercules II
>
> All -

snip

> I'm thinking that the Hercules II might be a good candidate for "Rig
> #2".  I
> do have some questions which cannot be answered in Ten-Tec's
> literature.  If
> someone has some experience with this amp, I'd appreciate it if the
> following questions could be addressed:
>
> 1) What is the REAL output of this amp?  500W?  550W? 600W?

Depends on the supply voltage. My experience is a nice easy 500 with 13
volts and about 50 watts input. It'll go up to 600 watts max at that
voltage with more input....less than 100 watts. Some others say up to
800 watts or so with 15 volts.

> 2) What is the drive required to reach this level of output?
>
> 3) What is it's VSWR tolerance?  In otherwords, does it start to turn
> down
> power above 1.5:1, or does it happen at 2:1?

Don't know. It trips out on current sensed at each of the four sources
to the four PA's. It doesn't cut back.....it unkeys and disconnects the
power (relays).

> 4) Are there any unusual quirks or other odd characteristics?

It's unusually great and bug free for a TT. I love it. I love TT but
they do have a certain flair for unresolved bugs. I'm even going to get
an Omni 6+ when things settle down (debugging and UPS).

> 5) What does it need to auto bandswitch?  I will be using it with a
> Yaesu FT
> - -1000MP or a JRC JST-245.

I have built an interface....it is a tiny box in series with a cable
from the 990 band data to the Herc. You have to decode the  5 vdc BCD
band data out of the Yaesu and OR some of the Yaesu bands to the Herc
bands at 12 vdc. By the way, that's a special 8 pin plug that you can
get from Kenwood or Yaesu.....not the common 8 pin din that is also on
the back of the rig and in Radio Shack. This cable also carries the
request to transmit out of the Yaesu to the Herc and the OK to xmit from
the Herc to the Yeasu. You run the Herc QSK......this is best because
the 990, at least, puts out a little spike before the Herc is done
keying....at least my experience. I can send a scan of the schematic if
you want. A fellow in Europe is using it to switch antennas from the
Yaesu 990 (or 1000, etc.).

> Thanks in advance for any help.  If there's interest, I'll summarize
> and
> post to the reflector.
>
> 73,
> Steve KC2X
>
> ---

I run it on a battery (about 120 amp-hour) with an adjustable  35 Amp
Astron with a diode in series to the battery set to about 13 Volts. From
there to the Herc thru an 80 Amp fuse (auto stereo stuff). The Astron
puts out 20 or 30 amp pulses as I talk and then brings the battery up
with a few amps while I am silent. I just got a new battery after about
5 years on the first one. I never pried the covers on the maintaince
free cells so I maybe should have put some water in it. This one is
easier to do so I will. They both are Johnson Marine Starting and
Cycling (about $65).

Charles (Jack) Hawley
Chuck....Ham Radio KE9UW
AKA "Jack" BMW Motorcycles, MOA #224 K100RS
Wife rides...Viki, MOA #18120 K100RS
President IBMWR
c-hawley@uiuc.edu
Sr. Research Engineer Emeritus