[TenTec] Paragon: Questions, quirks and problems - pse help.

Peter Frenning PEF@SNI.DK
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:11:11 +0200

CQ, CQ, CQ

As I've just bought a second (third) hand Paragon (Serial No. 139), I
have several questions and a few problems I have to solve.:

The tuning knob has quite a bit of mechanical play (in the axle), before
I start taking the whole frontpanel apart, I need some advice: is it
repair/adjustable, or must i buy a new assembly?

A couple of firmware related questions:
The clock display is not always updated, if I cycle ->tag->date->clock,
it is updated, so the clock is running. What gives?
No firmware version display (tag display) on <shift>, <enter>?
Some times the receiver dies (on 20m and 10m) after a bandswitch (using
keypad entry) or memory RCL. Cycling power off/on, brings the receiver
back.
I can cycle bands using <shift>, <up/down arrow>, but a momentary
pressure doesn't work.
Does all this indicate a very early firmware version?
What is the latest(last?) version? and is it still available?

My Paragon has the FM board option installed (along with all filters),
but when I select FM on an empty portion of a band I do not hear the
expected no_carrier hiss (Squelch full CCW), is this normal (i.e. fixed
squelch on-board on the FM board) or is it indicative of a problem? (I
have not found any FM transmissions to try yet).

There is quite a bit of noise in the receiver, even without an antenna
attached - probably phase noise. How do I check whether the PLL-board
has been upgraded?
Is the upgrade still available from Ten Tec?

Other than these things (so far), I'm deeply impressed with the radio,
and looking forward to many years of happy companionship with it.

I am hoping for as enlightened replies, as I got to my initial posting
("Should I buy a used Paragon")

73 de OZ1PIF. Peter

*********************************   OZ1PIF
Peter Frenning, UNIX Product Mgr., Siemens-Nixdorf DK, Ph.: +45 4477
4924
Snailmail: Dybendalsvaenget 3, 2630 Taastrup, Denmark, Fax: +45 4477
4977
                Email: pef@sni.dk, (NERV: pfrenning.cph)
X400: C=DK; A=400NET; P=SCN; O=SNI; S=Frenning; G=Peter; OU1=CPH1;
OU2=CC
***********  Come visit us on the web; URL http://www.sni.dk