[TenTec] FT-1000D

Steve Massey N6TT@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 09:51:31 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Chester Alderman <chestert@pressroom.com>
To: tentec@contesting.com <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Monday, December 08, 1997 4:29 AM
Subject: [TenTec] FT-1000D

>Steve N6TT---- A Ten-Tec lover, but glad to have my reliable FT1000D
>especially after making careful comparisions.....Im 100% CW , QRQ 34 yrs
>guys !
>
>Sorry just had to get my 2 cents in, Im back to the listening mode !
>
>Hi Steve...since you noted that your '100%CW, QRQ, 34 yrs', I'm just
>curious how fast you can run your FT-1000D in full QSK CW? Isn't the limit
>somewhere around 30-35 wpm? I would have purchased a FT-1000D about six
>years ago, but when I tested it with full QSK, it completely choked at
>about 35 wpm, not something that could be clasified as a good QRQ rig!
>
>Tom  W4BQF ----Ten-Tec lover, no other gear needed....100% CW, QRQ (60wpm
>+), 45 yrs !
>

>Chester Alderman
>Tom - W4BQF
>chestert@pressroom.com

Hi Tom, Hmmmm! No I have no problem with my FT1000D choking out at 35 wpm I
can open it up all the way , but then again I dont run much slower than  35
wpm ,doesnt hold my interest very long....I find myself holding a verbal
conversation with someone in the room at that speed...Maybe your running
your charaters together above 35 wpm like alot of guys do. But maybe not,
are you using a keyboard? I dont use one here, even with the old arthritis
setting in.....But when the time comes that my fingers wont move that fast
then I will convert to a keyboard even tho I swore I would never use one...I
also never thot Id run anything but a TT till I repeatedly got crummy
service and then found something as good with features that the TT doesnt
have. But then I dont only use my OMNI6 and FT1000D on QRQ, Im an advid
DX-er and Contester, So I must disagree with you Sir on your statement that
you wouldnt classify the FT1000D as a good QRQ rig....I noticed you included
at the bottom of your post 45 yrs a Ham and 60 plus WPM thats great and
should be commented, infact didnt I read a thread about you and your high
speed CW activities either here or on the CW reflector, I thot It was your
call ? I will have to go back and look thru the archives... Very good OT,
Thats the true meaning of QRQ........Thats coming from another QRQ op, Altho
I didnt ad to my post 60 plus wpm, I too can send and rx 60 plus wpm since I
was 10 yrs old and clix off 2 to 3 a minute in a contest.....I think that
qualifiy me to accurately evaluate a good QRQ rig.

So hope that answers your question Sir, altho that wasnt the issue on my
orginal post, the issue was the flip side of the coin on TT service.....

Let me leave you with this Tom, Ten-Tec makes some great products and Im
sure you have noticed as soon as one of there rigs comes up for sale its
SOLD, that says alot for the demand for a  TT, and no doubt they do hold
there value! But a guy pointed out to me and said have you ever noticed when
a TT rig is listed it says just back from the factory?  My orginal post was
to show the flip side of the coin on TT service, thats after owning many TT
thru-out the years and alot of personal experiences....I appreciate your die
hard additude towards TT, but also you need to COPY and here some true facts
by another TT lover, even tho it may hurt !! You made a statement at the
beginning of this post that six years ago you would have purchased the
FT1000D if it wasnt for the QSK problem, there must be something you like
about the FT1000D that you even considered it ! Have a great day...

Steve N6TT still a TT lover, with other gear while in for repair :-)