[TenTec] Custom Filters?

David H. Hammond DHHDEH@concentric.net
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:46:42 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I understand that the supplier of TenTec's crystal filters will for a
PREMIUM construct custom filters to more demanding tolerances for use in
several TenTec transceivers including the Omni VI.

Has anyone on the reflector ever done this and care to share their
experience with me. Does it warrant the cost. Big $$???  :-(

I understand that these custom jobs  can result in very symmetrical
filters  resulting in more uniform  tone when changing from USB to LSB
and very pleasant audio.  Symmetrical crystal filters are very difficult
to build to close tolerances and with consistency and at an acceptable
price. I have noticed performance differences in filters of the same
bandwith obtained from TT  on SSB. Not much but noticable.

 Would also be interested if anyone has tried a custom filter for SSB in
the 2.7khz bandwith range for fuller audio fidelity.  Yes this goes
contrary to the philosophy of weak signal work but I am curious. Too
much time on my hands I guess.

I am a filter nut ;-)
.

Apologies to the CW crowd on the reflector. I love my TT for SSB mainly.

Thanks for any info.

73 fer nw de N1LQ--Dave