[TenTec] #253 Tuner

DUANE BUDD dbudd@thewebcorp.com
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:16:11 -0500

A flameless answer for my friend, Jim Roller:

I read with interest the responses your inquiry provoked. Most were pretty
good, though I would class one of them a little "smoky", if not actually in
"flames".

I have a couple of comments:

1. After years of the practice of medicine, I am not a strong believer in
the secondhand smoke theory, but I am sure it may have some small effect. I
usually ask for "non-smoking" in the restaurant, but will accept "first
available" if they are busy. I smoked for about 25 years myself.

2. You have no idea how bad you smell, nor any idea about how your car
reeks, etc. If you ever quit, you will be amazed. You can tell a smoker by
being in the room with him.

3. The yellow-brown film left on everything by smoke is not nicotine, at
least not much of it - nicotine is colorless. But the tars (various colors)
and carbon particles (black) are major components of this residue. And while
carbon is a conductor of electricity, the whole mess may be more
cosmetically annoying than actually detrimental.

4. At the risk of stirring up some hard-liners, I believe the crammed-down
opinion of the media and hard-liners is not correct - smoking tobacco
products is NOT "addictive". It is terribly habituating, but not truly
addictive. I told my smoking patients that if and when they ever made up
their mind to stop, they would be amazed at how easy it is. And many of them
confirmed this over the years. The truly hard part of quitting is making
your mind up that you REALLY WANT to quit.

5. I wish you'd make up your mind to quit. You are a great guy, and an asset
to the ham community. Dad used to say, in the days before the facts were in
on disease-related issues, "I don't know for sure if smoking is bad for you,
but I KNOW it ain't GOOD for you".

So give yourself a nice Christmas present, Jim - just quit. And have a Merry
Christmas and a Happy New Year whether or not!!!

73

Budd, K4AAE