[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Digest 253 tuner

William Pence bpguy@gate.net
Sun, 21 Dec 97 09:24:35 -0500

>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:48:11 -0500
>From: "H. M. 'Puck' Motley W4PM" <hmmjr@erols.com>
>Subject: Re: [TenTec] #253 Tuner
>
>I have a 253 Tuner.  I got it a few years ago for $600 at a ham fest.
>I use it daily and with only one antenna for all bands it gets a lot of
>use.  My station consists of a Paragon and Centurion amp.  I've had the
>following problems :
>1.The memory chip filled up and had to be replaced
>2.On two ocassions one or two capacitors in the capacitor bank blew up
>3.The rotaty inductor bearings wore out and it had to be replaced

Puck,
Can you or someone please explain this
phenomena (did I speel that right?)
of a memory chip filling and requiring replacement?

I am not familiar with this tuner, but I am quite surprised
to see a requirement of replaceing a full memory chip.

the caps and inductor I can figure out, but I would like to
learn more about this memory chip.  I am assuming the following:
this is a  auto tuner, and continas an EPROM (not ram or EEPROM)
that can be written to but not erased.  after a cetain (I guess many
hundreds) number of setting and saves, the chip is full, and can no
longer save new tuner settings?