[TenTec] Omni VII Requirements

Richard Westerman GoWest@classic.msn.com
Tue, 23 Dec 97 05:50:09 UT

I have never used a reflecter and don't know how to enter a thread into it or
reply to a thread.  Please help.  I stumbled onto it when I did a search on
"Ten Tec".

I am:
Rick Westerman
DJ0IP / WB3AYM
email: gowest@msn.com
Contester
25 year-long Ten Tec user

Here are my suggestions for an OMNI VII, in order of priority:

1.  Keep it simple and basic
2.  Give us 4 filters in the second IF (instead of 2: Omni VI; 3: OmniVI+).
3.  Add the possibility for inserting a pre-selector (filter) into the receive
antenna line.  These are necessary for multi-multi contest operations or when
one lives near a broadcast station. Also, even though the Omni VI is great,
when using a BIG wire antenna such as the Carolina Windom 160 here in Europe,
we do get cross mod which the filter eliminates entirely.   In Germany we
typically use Braun ($1000+) or the one suggested by the Bavarian Contest Club
as described in the CQ Contest magazine a couple of months ago (I have both).
I've done this to all six of my Ten Tecs (as well as my several Rice Boxes).
It requires only the addition of two phono jacks prior to the RX RF amp.
4.  Follow the excellent suggestions of Paul, KB8N, especially his point #1.
Good thought.  You can tell he is a contester (as I am).
5.  I would like to see a means of fast QSY.  Say, a "fast" button to increase
the rate of change of the frequency (VFO) knob by a factor of 10.
Alternative, give us a "slow" which changes the rate of change of the up/down
buttons from 100 KHz to 10 KHz.  Place it directly next to the vfo knob.
6.  Give us the silent 24v fan (in place of the speaker) with an on/off
switch.  I too have used external cooling when operating CQWW DX from 4U1VIC.

7.  Keep the keyer as is.  I agree that every op prefers his own, but even
more important than the keyer is the paddle and every op has his own.  This
one is enough for basic operations when on vacation (portable).   Don't waste
time, money, and more important, space - building the non-plus-ultra.   For
contests, I usually use an external one anyway (mostly the computer keyboard
directly).
8.  Continue to "tweek" the DSP.  Again, I use an external.
9.  Keep Power Supply and Antenna Tuner EXTERNAL.
10.  Put a (leather) handle on the transceiver and a rugged handle on the P.S.
so that we can carry both at one time without risking dropping one (it always
rains on DX-peditions).
11.  Give us transverter connections.  Don't change anything to the basic rig.
12.  Keep the fresh look of the rig.  NEVER make it look like a military
"GRC".  I had enough of that in the late '60s (maybe that's why I don't like
rice boxes).

73's
Rick