[TenTec] RE: The New Omni-VI Plus

Pete Brunelli pcb@connix.com
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:00:44 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:49:30 +0000
> From:          Duane Calvin <dcalvin@austin.ibm.com>
> To:            tentec@contesting.com
> Subject:       [TenTec] RE: The New Omni-VI Plus

> Don't know what happened to my note from last night on this topic -
> maybe I mis-addressed it.  I found the answer to my question. TT uses
> the "Kenwood" version - IF center frequency is shifted.  (This is
> covered in the QST review of the rig.)  This means that as you move the
> control to eliminate interference on one side of the signal, you may
> uncover another signal on the other side as the passband is not narrowed

This is IF Shift, within a fixed passband

> in this scheme, only moved.  Passband tuning, as implemented on the
> IC-765, 735, (others?) moves only one edge of the passband in toward the
> center, depending on which direction you move the control out of the

This is Passband Shift, with a fixed center freq

> center detent.  I'm not familiar with the Jones filter used in the 555,
> but it sounds like a similar approach from the way it is described.

The Jones Filter is a Variable Bandwidth Filter, which is like
Symmetric Passband Control.  The center does not move, but the
passband edges are adjusted symmetrically.  My only knock on the
Jones is that it has a bit too much attenuation at the narrowest
settings, otherwise it is a dream to use.  I compare it to the op-amp
filter in my triton and it loses at 200hz, but on the roll the Jones
is King.

|_ [][][][][][][][] __/ | @  '  | @    mailto:pcb@connix.com
  `.______________,'    @       @   http://www.connix.com/~pcb/

--