[TenTec] SSB distortion from TNC

Steve Milewski milewski@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:59:47 -0800

Perhaps someone can give me an idea of how to fix this problem, or at least
tell me why it is happening.

I have a KAMPlus TNC plugged into the rear panel of my Omni VI. I access
the TNC for RTTY via the FSK button on the front panel.

If I do any SSB transmission with the TNC plugged into the jacks but
powered off, I receive reports telling me that my audio is severely
distorted.

The Omni VI manual says that the FSK is wired in with the SSB circuit. I
can understand that there might be a problem if the TNC were turned on and
had power to it while I was operating SSB.

However, this problem occurs merely because the TNC is plugged into the
audio out and mark/space jacks. The power is turned off.

Any ideas would be appreciated because it is extremely inconvenient to
access the rear panel anytime I want to change operation between SSB or
RTTY.

Thank you and 73,
Steve/AA7FL
milewski@oregon.uoregon.edu