solid state kit

AE0Q / V31RY v31ry@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 20:29:29 -0800

At 16:26 31-12-96 -0600, K5KVH wrote:
>Reality Check Time re a 500 watt TRANSISTOR amplifier Kit!  Look at the
>proposed 13.8 Volt operation.  Look at the OHMS LAW for this operation!  Who
>builds such transformers?  Who can afford them?

  Wait a minute, I already HAVE a Ten Tec Hercules-II amp that draws about
70 amps at 13.8vdc on 20m at 550w out!  I DO happen to have the matching 100
amp, 13.8vdc supply (yes, 100A) that has four separate power transformers
inside it; one regulated 13.8vdc buss goes to each of the four solid-state
amps in the RF 'head', and there the RF is combined..
  BUT, Ten Tec has always suggested that you can use a heavy-duty car
battery and a 10-amp battery charger to run the amp, in place of their 58
pound supply..  That's why I bought the solid-state amp, to use from the
battery/charger combination on DX trips..
  A well-known DXer in southern Colorado has a Hercules-II and a TS-50s
mounted in his HumVee for driving around his antenna farm and tuning up
antennas on site, instead of from his house..  The Hercules-II works great
and the RF-deck only weighs 14 pounds..

>The other way high power amplifiers with transistors at HF is done is with a
>series of amplifiers and a combiner, a not inconsequential bit of
>construction, to make IDENTICAL HF Amps, so the power adds and combines with
>EQUAL contribution from each sub assembly.
>
>Now I know some of the kit builders are GOOD, but-----

  If they can build it at the factory, why not as a kit?  Not that I want a
kit right now, but the whole idea of 550w from an amp running on 13.8vdc
isn't THAT bizarre!!  It works..

73  --  Glenn

Duct Tape is like the Force:  It has a light side, and a
           dark side, and it holds the Universe together.

    AE0Q / V31RY       ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK
 v31ry@ix.netcom.com     -- ARRL LM, QCWA LM, NCVA --

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html