Thank You Ten Tec

Reid W Simmons Reid_W_Simmons@ccm2.hf.intel.com
Tue, 07 Jan 97 12:19:00 PST

   Hi Ten Tec gang, and Reflectorites;

   I just wanted to drop a note and let the folks at Ten Tec know how much I
   appreciate their products, service, and support.

   I bought my OMNI VI back in mid 1992 - one of the first production runs -
   and have been loving it ever since.  The ONLY problem I have had was the
   early expiration of the Logic Board 5 volt regulator, which was truly a "no
   brainer" to diagnose, and Ten Tec promptly supplied a new part.  The only
   changes I have made, other than adding filters, was the installation of the
   new ROM.  I have not observed any of the problems some have reported with
   the new version ROM.

   I have always found the Ten Tec Sales and Service personnel to be
   exceptionally responsive, helpful, and knowledgeable.  This has NOT been my
   experience with "YaeComWood" - assuming you can even find "intelligent
   lifeforms" on the other end of their telephone lines!

   One interesting "experience" I had a few years ago with the YaeComWood people
   was an attempt to get information on extending the transmitter range to cover
   the 4 MHz Army MARS frequencies.  After a couple of months of "more
   run-arounds than a track star does", I finally decided to analyze the circuit
   myself and come up with a solution.  (Hey, boys and girls, can you say "clip
   this diode"?)  Apparently they could not muster the collective brain power to
   figure that one out.

   I also didn't like having to pay for all those numerous YaeComWood bells
   and whistles that I didn't want, didn't need, and never used.

   And who cares how small you can make a rig?  Personally, having to use
   tweezers to adjust the controls on a rig is not my idea of fun.  I like BIG
   rigs that you can get into and play with.  The insides of the YaeComWood
   rigs I have owned look like they were designed by the same people who dreamt
   up the "Friday The 13th" movies!  Scarry, aren't they?

   The T-Kits have been a GREAT addition to the product line.  I have bought
   several and plan to buy more.  The assembly manuals are at least as good as
   the Heathkit manuals were (I used to work there), and the quality versus
   price (especially the 1208) was far more than I have come to expect in this
   day and age.  Sure, sometimes the shipping dates slip, but that happens when
   products are perhaps announced too early.  I would much rather "have it
   right than have it fast".  Please keep coming up with new kits.

   Hmmm, has Ten Tec ever thought about maybe coming up with T-shirts, coffee
   mugs, hats, and such for us fanatics to buy?  I'd be interested.

   Thank you again Ten Tec and keep up the great work.  I'm a TEN TECer for
   life.

   Reid Simmons, K7YX

   email:
   Reid_W_Simmons@ccm2.hf.intel.com