Paragon I audio Problem

Danny Harp, Jr. n4yek@juno.com
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 21:47:21 EST

N4YEK @ JUNO.COM

On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 17:18:42 -0600 Roger Sellers
<rsellers@mail.rkd.snds.com> writes:
> Hello all Ten Tec fans,
>  I have a question regarding my Paragon I, I expect the answer will
>be to
>send it in for service. But before I did that, I would inquire to the
>collective
>wisdom of this sig.
>
>  I appear to have an intermittent low audio situation. I have a
>Paragon I
>connected to a MFJ tuner (492e?) and using a G5RV dipole and MFJ
>1972 (?) multi-band vertical antenna. When I go to change bands, I
>press
>the tuner button on the Paragon, and change settings on the MFJ tuner.
>When I release the tuner button on the radio, I hear audio loud and
>clear
>on the speaker. In about a half second it drops to next to nothing. If
>retune (a little finer) and release tuner button, the audio level
>picks back
>up but usually not as strong as when the button was initially
>released.
>
>   The antenna was check at time of installation ( month or so ago)
>and
>was typically 1.5:1 or less on most bands including 2 meters. My G5RV
>was good 10-40 meters HF and on 2 meters. I have put a duplexer on the
>MFJ but have since removed it in trying to isolate the problem.
>
>    Sometimes while tuning, I noticed the radio would have a slight
>snap
>sound and the meters dropped to near 0, and returned to where they
>were. And there is almost always a high level of noise on the audio.
>
>   Please bear in mind there is a high level of newbie activity here.
>I have
>had the radio (used) about 3 months and listening to HF about 2
>months.
>I'm no electronic wiz, but I did manage to install filters, voice
>board, and
>rs-232 board connected to computer.
>
>  I like the radio but feel something is not quite right. Any comments
>or
>suggestions (including sent it in to T-T)??? Prefer to have responses
>sent to my home e-mail to keep sig traffic down, but will appreciate
>any
>replies here.  Thanks in advance!
>
>73,
>Roger Sellers
>Technical Support Administrator
>Sundstrand Aerospace
>(815) 226-6839
>FAX: (815) 226-5175
>Internet:
>Work: rsellers@snds.com
>Home: rsellers@rockford.com
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html
>Problems:                 w9tw@contesting.com

Hi Roger, my name is Danny. Your intermitant audio and tx problem sounds
like
the reed relay on the low pass filter board is becoming intermitant.  To
verify
this the next time your audio dissapears, try giving your rig a good hard
smack
on it rear end on the top of the case next to the final amp heat sink.
Don't worry
about giving it a good one because we will do it if you send it in to us.
If your audio
come back, then bingo the relay is the problem. One thing does concern me
however,
the snap you hear. That sounds like something in the final amp itself or
possibly
on the low pass filter board. My suggestion would be to send it in before
it
creates more problems. But call the repair department and talk to Don
Prouty.
He can give you more insite to your problem.
see ya Roger and take care.
Danny Harp  (Ten-Tec production technician)

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html