Omni VI and Corsair II comparison

MARTY_GULSETH@HP-Spokane-om2.om.hp.com MARTY_GULSETH@HP-Spokane-om2.om.hp.com
Mon, 13 Jan 97 17:49:35 -0700

Item Subject: Omni VI and Corsair II comparison
Hello All,

For what it's worth - I'll second John's comment on the Omni VI RX (his
message, snipped, below...) I have had my pre-owned Omni VI for about 3
mos. My QTH is blessed with lots of local noise and I have marginal
antennas (temporary setback, I hope!)

When I first set up the Omni, and for some time after, I thought I had a
problem with the receiver. Then, being blessed with access to professional
test equipment, I made some measurements on the RX - it IS indeed HOT! The
RX "hears" the local noise quite well.

My previous rigs at this QTH - Atlas 210X, Drake R-4B, and TT 580 Delta,
"picked up" the local noise, but it was not nearly so noticable as when the
Omni came to live here.

John, thanks for the tip on backing off the RF gain - embarrased I didn't
think of that. The 20 dB RF atten is a bit too much for this situation.

Moral of the story - if you find your first experience listening to the
Omni VI unsettling, don't assume something's wrong with the rig! Time for
some serious antenna work in my case. The Omni VI is still my pride and
joy, radio-wise...

73,

Marty - W7LEJ (Spokane, WA)