Who desires QRP kit for 2m - survey

Paul R. Valko prvalko@Oakland.edu
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:25:17 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 ENBOE@aol.com wrote:

> I would like to survey you fellow tentec enthusiasts to determine if anyone
> else desires a modified version of the existing tentec qrp rig, only in 2m.

> I personally would enjoy having a cheap CW rig for satellite work, but it
> would also open up possibilities to the Tech class license.  Bottom line,
> send me your thoughts on the following ideas:

> 1)  QRP CW kit in 2m for $95
	Probably a techni-economic impossibility.  TenTec can do a single
conversion radio for $95 (even though I don't expect that price to hold
for long) but the triple conversion which is almost if not required for 2M
would be quite a feat under $100.

> 2)  QRP CW+SSB kit in 2m for $195
	ditto

> 3)  Other random opinions on the topic
	VHF and satellite work typically uses lots of ERP.  It's my
opinion (I could be wrong) but once you stick a beam on the end of a qrp
rig, you have left the ZEN of 'doing more with less.'  And don't flame me
with "you don't need lots of ERP to work a satellite," because you would
be missing the point (I've been there, done that, know that).

	I would LOVE to see TenTec make transverters for 2M, 220MHz,
432MHZ, 903MHz, 1296MHz, 2400MHz, etc., that match their fantastic 6M
transverter!  Then everyone would be happy... you'd get QRP VHF and I'd
get a bunch of bands I'm not on without spending $1200 for each rig.  Of
course the only drawback being the need for a 20M or 10M rig to drive
them... so NorCal would need to redo the 40A to make it a 20A. :-)

73! =paul= W8KC