"L. B. Cebik" <cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu>: ADMIN: Con Artist Alert (fwd)

William Harris w77kxb@juno.com
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:29:55 EST

From: "L. B. Cebik" <cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu>
To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
Subject: ADMIN: Con Artist Alert (fwd)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:45:16 -0500 (EST)

I received the following item and pass it along.  Too many brand new
ATGs,
38s, and TT 1340s to take a chance.

This is from the Arizona area; but do not know its extent.

-73-

LB, W4RNL
--------------------

There is a big scam going on where a person calls and says that they are
doing a computer survey from a company.  The company name that they give
is
usually a big well-known software company, and they usually say that they
are doing the survey because they want to give out free software.  They
want
to know what would be a good time for someone to come from their company
and
install the software on your PC.  They also ask questions about income,
etc.

During their questioning, they (unknowingly to you) find out what time
you're usually home, what kind of computer equipment you have and all
sorts
of other valuable information.  At a company where a friend of mine
works, a
co-worker of his received one of these calls, and he was robbed the very
next day (of course, when he was not home).  I received a similar call
yesterday afternoon.  Fortunately, I knew about this ahead of time, and
we
didn't provide them with any information.

I want to make you all aware of the situation and the potential danger
involved in giving out any information like this over the phone.  The
people
sound very genuine, and very few people are going to question receiving
free
software.  I would advise you, however, to tell the people that if they
have
your phone number, they should have your address (we think they're
getting
it off the internet somehow), and they can mail you any free software
they
might be offering.  If you have a home computer set-up, you should be
familiar with installing your own software.  You may even want to tell
them
you don't have a home computer. Whatever you're comfortable with.  Please
don't give out any information that you may regret later.  Pass this
information along to friends and family members, as well.  The fewer
people
they are able to scam, the better.

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html