More kits

Chuck (Jack) Hawley c-hawley@uiuc.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:05:13 -0600

Paul, Wv3j wrote:

> >Ask and ye shall be answered.
> >
> >Scott Robbins, W4PA
> >Ten-Tec
> >

> Hey Scott,
>
> What about a 500 watt solid state hf linear kit?
>
> What about a kit version of the 238 tuner (a friend of mine has one he built
> from a kit years ago (its beautiful and much smoother than my factory job
> (sorry))).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Paul Helbert - Wv3j

"Hey Scott",

How about a link coupled tuner.....I think the fever is heating up for
inductively coupled tuners and there may be a reasonable market for them
now. It has to cover 160M and tune from 5 ohms to say 5000 ohms,
balanced, or it won't do the job for what is going on in the kind of
city lots with somewhat short dipoles fed with OWL.
I'll order one if it's less than $1000.
I'm using a TT auto tuner, unbalanced, with an Amidon-Sevick current
balun to so this job now and it appears to be reasonably efficient and
has a super tuning range. The balun does not transform the impedance
accurately on 160M or 80M but it does alter the reactance enough to
enable the tuner to match my system with out greatly shortening or
lengthening my 600 ohm OWL (70 feet long).

What say?

Chuck, KE9UW

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html