[TenTec] SCOUT Power Connector

Leonard J Popyack popyackl@ers.rl.af.mil
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 12:52:20 -0400

Thank you everyone for the responses! We have a great support group here
including our friends at Ten-Tec.
Here is a summary of the findings:
Len WF2V
--------------------------
 Just yesterday I went through the ordeal of trying to find the power
     connector! I believe it's a type of AMP mate-n-lock, two pin, but I
     had to go to a surplus place and totally by chance found them for a
     buck a piece. If you have no luck finding them, let me know and I can
     ship you a couple for cheap.
(Al W6LX)
-----------------
AMP Mate-n-lock standard two connector available through mouser
electronics for pennies (don't forget the male and female pins!)  Much
better than molex - I use mate-n-lock for my mobile setup - durable and
when wired correctly, stupid-proof!

73 Bob K3TE
----------------------
Hi;
I tried the Molex, it did not fit quite right.  I contacted TEN-TEC, and they
sent me a couple.  Don't remember the cost so it must have been
reasonable.
73, Paul
Paul WA9FFL
------------------------
It's an AMP mate-n-lok.  I don't have the p/n here- but Mouser has them.
You can get them from TT, too.
73,

Mike Cizek   KO7V
-------------------------
Len - here's the information:

Mouser 800-346-6873

AMP Universak Mate-n-lok connectors

Page 142 catalog 590 good thru 7/31/97

571-14806980  2 conductor pin housing 1@$.26/10@$.25

I don't remember if Ten-Tec reverses the pin or sockets (ie use the pins
in the socket housing/sockets in the pin housing.

571-3505471  pin contact 1@$.09
571-3505501  Socket contact 1@$.09

Solder the each wire of the cable to the contacts and PROPERLY insert
the correct contact into each side of the housing.  The Scout manual has
the polarity for the connector - I DO know that the +13.8 is the top
contact.

If that sounds like work and you think you'll never need to make
connectors for battery or mobile installations, Ten-Tec sells the cable
with a fuse for about 5-6 dollars.
73 Bob K3TE
--------------------
Len,
The Scout power connector is Radio Shack #274-1569 according
to page 1-3 of my Scout manual.

I use Radio Shack 274-151 and 174-154 for my radio power
connections. That way I do not need power connectors that
match the rig. For example, I put the RS 274-151 on the other
end of my Scout cord, and that matches power cables I have in
my vehicles as well as on my fixed station ac supplies.

73, Larry W3UIO
----------------------
Hi Len:

Thanks for your message concerning the scout power connector.  I believe
what you want is avalable as our part number 80573 for $3.00 ea. You
probably won't be able to find this part from a distributer as I was unable
to locate an AMP number or the like.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, 73

Gary Hendricks, KD4AW
Ten-Tec Sales
  Hi Len..  I just got out my dial micrometer and the Newark catalog, and it
sure looks like the Scout power connector is the AMP Universal Mate-N-Loc
series (you were right!)..  Mine says AMP on the body..

  The plug (goes on the pwr cable) is AMP p/n  1-480698-0,  $.25 each from
Digi-Key and the same from Newark.  The pins are separate, $.10 each.  Now
if we could find 100 people that wanted one or two, we'd be over their
minimum order, ha..

73  --  Glenn
     AE0Q / V31RY          ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK