[TenTec] 10 Meter Birdies-One Man's Opinion

David H. Hammond DHHDEH@concentric.net
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 18:15:45 -0400

Hi Everyone,

Just a short response on the "birdies on 10 meters" issue.

Over 18 years I have listened to a lot of ham receivers.  Some good and
some not so good. Most present some form of compromise to the user. I
have yet to find the "perfect rig" and would probably have to spend much
more than today's top end ham rigs cost even if one existed.

So one has to decide what is most important.  To me I'll happily
tolerate some 10 meter birdies for the benefit of overall superior
receiver performance that TenTec rigs bring and at a competitve price.
Birdies become tolerable after you experience close in receiver phase
noise or hissy audio amplifier circuits experienced in some of the
recent top-end Japanese rigs.

TenTec rigs are not perfect and there are some things that I would like
to see changed and improved.  But for my preferences, they bring the
best performance for the best price...value ... to this ham's needs.

Just my two cents.

73 fer nw de N1LQ-Dave