[TenTec] Delta I (580)...

Mark mark.milburn@arbbs.com
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:08:00 -0320

K> Can anyone give me some info or direct me to a
K> source of info on the Ten Tec Delta I (Model 580).
K> What are the specs?  ie, output power, bands,
K> goods, bads, etc.  Also, what's the "street price"
K> of a used one in great condition.
K>
K> Tnx in advance es 73,
K> -Dale

The Delta I is a 200 watt all solid state transceiver.  It was built just as
the WARC bands were becoming available, so early ones (mine, for instance) were
issued without the crystals for the WARC bands and you had to send them back to
get the bands installed after they became legal.  It is a simple transceiver
without any memories or "goodies" like that.  There are optional filter
positions and it has a notch filter on it.  The drive is adjustable and it can
be used QRP without modification.  The goods are that it is a simple and rather
inexpensive transceiver, if you like that kind of rig, and it has the usual
nice QSK associated with Ten Tec rigs.  For my money, Ten Tec is the only way
to go because of the terrific service department backing you up.  I have had
mine since 1980, still using the original output transistors, and have been
very very happy with it.  The receiver is excellent.  The only problem I have
with the rig is that it has no RF gain control.  Instead, it has a 20 db
attenuator with a slide switch in and out clear on the back of the rig.  In
noisy conditions it would be nice to be able to cut back the rf gain, but the
setup doesn't make that a very easy thing to do.  The RF gain runs wide open
all the time, and that takes some getting used to.

I have not been in the market to buy or sell one, but I would guess that $450
would probably buy one without a power supply.

72/73  Mark

KQ0I @ W0AK.#CIA.IA.USA.NOAM            E-mail: mark.milburn@arbbs.com
ARRL-DMRAA-QRP-L #625-NORCAL #1829-ARS #139-NW QRP #418-QRP ARCI #9226
WIMPS: QSOS=18, 30M=18,17M=00,12M=00, STATES=13,PROVINCES=00,DX= 01

... nfx v2.6 [C0000] In skating over thin ice, safety is in our speed
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !

 ^^ ***  The views of this user, do not reflect the opinions of the  ^^
 ^^ ***  operators of Altered Reality BBS                            ^^
 ^^ ***  ARBBS (319) 373-5355  8 lines @ 28.8k! With Access Lines in ^^
 ^^ ***  the entire 515 & 319 Area Codes!!                           ^^
 ^^ *** Send all replies to: mark.milburn@arbbs.com (Mark)                     ^^