[TenTec] Rig in the middle

Scott J. Royle km5av@prysm.net
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:21:47 -0500 (CDT)

>Chris writes
>
>> I believe a reissue of the Corsair II would be IDEAL!!!
>>
>>>   73, Chris KB3A
>
>Been following this thread and must say I agree with everything I've read.
>But a few thoughts of my own. I keep thinking how nice it would be for TT to
>come out with an all band kit. Say a kit of the Delta 580 or maybe a
>Corsair. However, they would most likely have the problem that Heath had
>that the kit price would be about the same as a built unit from Japan.  A
>slightly updated version of the Delta 580 and Corsair II would be great. I
>have a Corsair II and had an original Delta S/n 006 and both were/are great
>rigs. I would much rather have a good low bells & whistle rig with a low
>noise receiver than a lot of extra's with a noisy PLL. I'm afraid though
>that the price would be more than the midrange of the imports even though a
>lot of us would still pay the price.
>A thought on the Scout--I keep reading about the drift when operating CW at
>25 WPM or greater. I wonder how many of us are really going that fast? I bet
>that 90% wouldn't notice the problem. I'm sure some don't consider the Scout
>because they want 100 W output or more. How about building a "Super Scout"
>with the PA from the OMNI VI? It may require a larger case since a bigger
>heat sink would be needed. Enough for now. 73 Jim K4CGY
>
>--
>
>I have been thinking about this myself.  Although I would also like same
band split freq. it isn't absolutely necessary.  How about making a small
100-200 watt amp for the scout and maybe a remote vfo.  These are just ideas
popping into my head to help fuel this thread.  I think the idea of a super
scout is a good one.  I own a TT Omni D with 242 VFO and would not trade it
for the world.  However, I am looking for a second rig and have been eyeing
the IC-706 or FT-900 but hold off because I'd rather have a TT.  If TT would
built something in that price range or a little higher I would jump in with
both feet.  As far as bells and whistles.  How many of those buttons do you
really push and how many of those knobs do you really twist?
73's de
Scott KM5AV