[TenTec] Rig in the Middle

Joseph Koppi jkoppi@pclink.com
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:05:07 -0600

Regarding the forthcoming new Ten-Tec Saturn, I just wanted to add a
comment or two prior to final design changes and production tooling.  Some
of these points have been touched on by others, some have not.

With regard to price, a design that would come in on the low end at $1100
to $1200 would be a great.  And it would be equally great if a loaded
Saturn (with all options) would top out at, say, $1800.  That would place
the rig squarely in the middle price range and give the buyer an
opportunity to select those options he prefers or to "go for the gusto" and
buy the "works" package.

With regard to basic features, I would like to see the following minimum on
the entry-level rig:
--dual vfos in the box
--ability to work splits easily and quickly as in the Omni VI
--at least one IF filter included (500 Hz CW? Jones? Buyer selected?)
--another slot or two for optional filters
--LCD display
--external receive antenna capability
--some number of memories (how about 18--2 for each HF band)
--some method of fast tuning (basically, a way to move quickly from one
portion of the band to the other--maybe a button that skips 50 KHz per
push)

I would further appreciate it if Scott Robbins or someone else at Ten-Tec
would leave reflector subscribers a note regarding finalized features and
specifications for the new Saturn.  Also, when this fall does Ten-Tec
expect to start production?

This is more fun than working DX.
Thanks and 73,

Joe Koppi, W0SU