[TenTec] Scout: QRP/QRO mod

David Perrin d_perrin@conknet.com
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 17:00:05 -0800

Hi-
        I have been reading many messages in the last few
months about finding a method of switching between QRO and
QRP on the Scout.
        It is a pretty easy modification to do this, just
a little "will power".
        You'll first need to drill a small hole for a
minature spst switch on the rear panel. I drilled mine close
to the right hand edge of the cabinet as you face the radio
rear; half way in height between the "key paddles" and
"key" jacks. Find a place to run a wire from either switch
terminal to ground. Connect another wire to the other terminal, maybe
8 inches long.
        Next is a little more complicated and time consuming.
 Locate the POT. on the underside of the cabinet where you can
adjust the power level. That's where your going. It is R14 on
the LLD/ALC board. You need to solder the end of the wire to
the lead of R14 which goes to transistor Q3. I removed the board
enough so I could solder the wire onto the trace of the pc board.
(That is the tricky part).
        Last I set my maximum power using the POT. for 40 Watts.
When I turn the toggle switch, it grounds the emitter of Q3 and
my power drops to 4 Watts. I then orientated the switch so that
"up" is QRO, and "down" is QRP.
        Simple. I did that two years ago, it works fine for me.
        Let me know if I can help.

  73 de Dave, K1OPQ

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html