[TenTec] Ten-Tec 540 (Triton IV) stuck dial

Andy Wallace wallace@world.std.com
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 02:36:44 GMT

I'm sure Scott won't mind me forwarding his reply back to the Ten-Tec
list -- he's in Sales and I'm sure it will generate some.

People have asked me for info once I had received it and this is the
stuff... My question is (and I'm sure the lube kit or rebuild kit have
great instructions) -- how does the durned thing come OUT? I scratched
my head for a while without budging the thing, and I thought I had
found all the securing screws. Hmmm.

Surprisingly, after using the set for a while, the tuning loosened up
until it was almost back to normal. Very high gear reduction on that
rig. Nice! And no doubt this will spark more Triton comments, but I am
very impressed with the rig on CW. The break-in took some getting used
to (I am a tube rig/QSK delay relay man) and I bumped the sidetone
volume up a bit. But now I see why people rave about Ten-Tec QSK.

The rig has a couple of other problems, however: markings rubbed off
the front panel (does Ten-Tec do rescreenings?), no output on one or
more 10m ranges (yes, the xtals are there), and when I tried SSB, the
relay tripped repeatedly except when going into the dummy load. I
assume I need to find an anti-vox pot inside or something...?

But I am impressed despite the "homebrew" appearance of the rig. I
will probably recommend my friend send it back to Ten-Tec for a
complete checkup and then he'll have a nice little rig to use.

Here's the reply on the rebuilds. Sorry for taking so long to get to
it!

--Andy
wallace@world.std.com

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:44:16 Eastern Standard Time, "Ten-Tec Inc."