[TenTec] [Fwd: TenTec 10M > 2M transverter]

Jeff Madre n4zwq@interpath.com
Mon, 19 May 1997 10:18:30 -0400

--------------3D4FFFA2D404BDE867C41CC7

Paul,

Here's a copy of a message I had sent elsewhere concerning one
of the latest kits.  I wrote this Friday afternoon.  The
circuit board in this kit is beautiful.

73,Jeff

Jeff Madre wrote:

> I received my TenTec 2 meter transverter today and got a very few
> minutes at lunch to look at it .  A few things I noticed are:
>
> 1.  The case is now deeper from front to back than it is wide.  The
> circuit board is spec'd as being 5.5 X 3.75 inches.  That's 3.75
> from left to right, and 5.5 from front to back.
>
> 2.  An additional board layout and schematic sheet are provided so you
> can refer to it w/o having to flip pages.
>
> 3.  The input will accept up to 20W and uses a TO22 format 50 Ohm
                                                 ^^^^ [TO-220]
> load mounted internally.
>
> 4.  Output power is adjustable from 2 watts to 10 watts using an
> internal adjustment.  Specs indicate 4 watts input ~= 10 watts
> output.  (Can I use this to drive my 2M > 6M 1209?)
>
> 5.  Specifications claim less than 2 db noise figure with
> approximately 17 db conversion gain.  The transverter uses a
> BF988 (dual-gate MOSFET) in the receiver.
>
> 6.  The front panel has a power LED and switch as before, but
> also includes a transmit LED.
>
> 7.  Frequency coverage is 28.0-29.7 = 144.0-145.7.

[TenTec doesn't state that this is the limit.  This is just the example
in the manual.]

> 8.  The price is $139 US for the kit.  I don't know what the
> assembled version costs.
>
> 9.  My lunches are [not] nearly long enough.
>
> I hope to start assembling it Sunday and have it on the air next
> week.  I did the 2M > 6M kit build in one marathon session... But
> that was before I found that prolonged exposure to flux smoke
> would kill 50% of my brain _cell_. ;^)
>
> 73,
> Jeff/N4ZWQ
--------------3D4FFFA2D404BDE867C41CC7

I received my TenTec 2 meter transverter today and got a very few
minutes at lunch to look at it .  A few things I noticed are:

1.  The case is now deeper from front to back than it is wide.  The
circuit board is spec'd as being 5.5 X 3.75 inches.  That's 3.75
from left to right, and 5.5 from front to back.

2.  An additional board layout and schematic sheet are provided so you
can refer to it w/o having to flip pages.

3.  The input will accept up to 20W and uses a TO22 format 50 Ohm
load mounted internally.

4.  Output power is adjustable from 2 watts to 10 watts using an
internal adjustment.  Specs indicate 4 watts input ~= 10 watts
output.  (Can I use this to drive my 2M > 6M 1209?)

5.  Specifications claim less than 2 db noise figure with
approximately 17 db conversion gain.  The transverter uses a
BF988 (dual-gate MOSFET) in the receiver.

6.  The front panel has a power LED and switch as before, but
also includes a transmit LED.

7.  Frequency coverage is 28.0-29.7 = 144.0-145.7.

8.  The price is $139 US for the kit.  I don't know what the
assembled version costs.

9.  My lunches are nearly long enough.

-----
Submissions: wsvhf@qsl.net