[TenTec] TR-log + Omni 6+

Pete Hoover w6zh@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 18:54:49 -0500 (CDT)

George:

        It took me a while to round up all the data, but here is what I did
to make my Omni 6+, Model 301 outboard "dial", and TR-log (Ver. 5.63) work
together well.

Here goes:

                                ******
        Computer: a 386 33 MHz clone with 20 megs of ram, running DOS Ver.
                         6.22. Two serial ports, one parallel.

                                ******

        Omni 6+ (Ser. No. 11A10463 with option 1 upgrade):
                Set baud rate (Menu 2 "bd") = 4800
                Set address (Menu 2 "C-Id") = 04

                                ******

        TR-Log (Ver. 5.63) - Logcfg.dat to include:
                Keyer Output Port = Parallel 1
                Radio One Baud Rate = 4800
                Radio One Name = Omni 6
                Radio One Receiver Address = 4 (note: 4, not 04)
                Radio One Control Port = Serial 1
                Radio One Type = IC735

                                 ******

        "Y" cable between Computer, Omni 6+ and 301

                Omni 6+ DB-25   to           Computer Serial DB 9
                --------------
                   Pin 2        =>          Pin 3        Jumper: Pin 1 =>
Pin 6
                   Pin 3        =>          Pin 2                Pin 4 & 7
=> Pin 8
                   Pin 8        =>          Pin 5

                Omni 6+ DB-25   to   Model 301 DB-25
                -------------        ---------------
                   Pin 1        =>          Pin 1 (shield)
                   Pin 6        =>          Pin 6
                   Pin 8        =>          Pin 8
                   Pin 16       =>          Pin 16

                                ******

        That's it.  The cable was a PITA to build, but works - use care and
make sure that leads go to the correct pins - check twice, and then check
again. My only problems were in this area!!

        The above set-up allows me to change frequency and/or band from the
keyboard, and the computer follows the VFO frequency - perhaps a little
slow, but it gets there.

        Any questions from either Ten-Tec or TR folk let me know direct, as
I usually just get the digests.