[TenTec] Looking for Corsair II repair advice-

Web Williams kr4wm@sccoast.net
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 07:59:33 -0500

I've owned this Corsair II for a couple of years, and every
once in awhile, I've gotten reports of RF in the audio, or
"fuzzy" audio, or whatever. Day before yesterday, a nearby
ham, and a not-so-nearby ham, were talking with me on 75
meters, and gave me "the report" of fuzzy sounding audio once
again. I informed them that I thought RF was getting back into
my radio. This prompted a rather extensive test procedure to
assist me in determining what could be causing this effect. I
turned down my power level (using the ALC control), at the
advice of one of the hams. I am of the opinion that this is
this control's purpose. I still had fuzzy audio. I turned the
ALC back up, and turned down the drive control, and this cleared
up my problem immediately! Now Ten Tec's instructions for
properly operating this rig is to turn up the drive control
until the ALC light -just- starts to come on. As another piece
of the puzzle, I turned on my Centurion amp to add power and
see if RF was the problem or not. The Centurion gave full
output, and the signal, with the drive control set very low,
displayed no distortion (or fuzzyness) at rated RF out. So,
fellow Ten Tec users, is there an internal adjustment that I
need to know about that will control this fuzziness, yet still
allow me to properly set the drive control according to the
rig's manual? Anyone else have this problem and fix it? Is
there a mike gain control inside? Could this be my problem?
As another consideration, the rigs previous owner had the ALC
control set to limit the output power to about 75-80 watts,
and I turned it up to 100 watts out. While "operating" on this
circuit board, I noticed that the board was pretty well burned
around one resistor, which had been replaced. Should the whole
ALC board be replaced?
73 all, -Web KR4WM in Myrtle Beach, SC