[TenTec] Omni V Pin-Diode Mods

Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:23:33 -0700

>          I have read over 3/4 of the reflector and I have yet to actually
> see any one who has done the pin-diode mod for the Omni V or any
> documentation.  No one seems to know where this information can be found.
> If I have missed it please help.

Hi Mike:  The simple reason you don't see it is probably because no one
has done it.  If someone has, please raise your hand :-) .  The diodes
used in the OMNI VI work very well, and are very similar to PIN diodes
in their specs.  There is a review of a PIN diode mod to the OMNI VI
that shows some improvement in some specs, but it is at the cost of
3 db or so of loss in the PIN diodes as I recall!  The conclusion of
the review is that the PIN diode mod is not wise for the OMNI, but
may help in many of the Japanese upper end rigs.

Hope this helps.  If you want the exact reference, write me and I
will look for it.  It was a British Journal's response to the QST
article about PIN diodes in ham rigs.

Clark
WA3JPG