[TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Thoughts--Wow!!

K5XS@aol.com K5XS@aol.com
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 00:46:39 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to the MANY who responded to my request for comments on the R-7000.
 As most were publicly posted, I won't re-post them all.  But, in summary:
- Some said "Great antenna!"  In particular, several praised its construction
relative to other vertical antennas.
- Many said what I've thought for the past 29 years of hamming:  A vertical
radiates equally poorly in all directions.  Some reported marginal gain over
a dipole working DX, but most recommended a dipole int eh tree approach
(which is what I'm using now for aour scouting "deployments."
- Some lamented burning out traps, particularly on the low bands.  One chap
pointed out that a Cushcraft tech reported that's often caused by loading up
on 80 with a tuner.

Again, many thanks for all of the responses.  You're a great bunch of
friends.

Bernie K5XS
Honolulu