[TenTec] 405 amp: what's a good price?

Steve Ellington n4Lq@igLou.com
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:18:45 -0700

Frank R. Oppedijk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I few days ago I sent out a message on rec.radio.amateur.equipment, asking
> if there exist power amps to boost my Argonaut II signal from 5W to the
> 50-100W level. Many replies mentioned the Ten-Tec 405, as well as some amps
> by Yaesu and Kenwood.
>
> I currently have an offer from someone, selling a 405 for $225. It's in good
> but used condition, includes manual and power cable, but not the power supply.
>
> What do you say, should I take it? Personally, I would pay up to $200 for
> one in mint condition. Is my idea about right, or am I underestimating going
> prices for this amp?
>
> BTW, anyone else having a 405 for sale?
>
> 73,
>
> Frank PA3FLV
> fro@xs4all.nl
>
> --
Keep in mind that the 405 amplifier has no provisions for QSK. Instead,
you will have to wait for a vox type relay to kick out. $225 is quite
high for this. I've seen them for around $125-$150. Also, consider a
mobile cb amplifier. They will put out about 75 watts for 5 watts input.
Use an antenna tuner with it to help reduce unwanted harmonics. They
work on the same vox principle plus most of them have internal receiver
pre-amps. Of course, they don't have the wood grain plastic cabinet.....

N4LQ