[TenTec] OPINIONS??

Del Seay seay@Alaska.NET
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:25:26 -0700

k2qmf@juno.com wrote:

> Hello,  Name here is Ted ( K2QMF )...
> I am planning to buy a new "Toy" but not sure which radio to get.

Hello Ted. You're on the wrong reflector to get an objective opinion. The
gang here are Ten-Tec nuts!
I'll try to be objective, and I have had both on the bench for tests.
I have not used the 1000MP on the air however.

The receiver is the biggest difference. The OMNI-6 Plus has a
noise floor almost 4 dB below the Yaesu. And the internally generated
noise is much less. This is important for dxers, but only if you
live in a quiet zone.  .05 uv sensitivity is not a big deal if you
have a 1 uv ambient noise.

Power output and spectrum purity is a wash. The 1000 has features that
the OMNI-6 does not. But - I haven't found anyone who really thinks
they are of great importance, other than the ability to listen to
the dx station and pileup at they same time. The OMNI requires holding
a button in to listen to the pileup.

Maintenance is a no brainer! Unless you are real gutsy, the Yaesu
will go back to the factory when something goes awry. The Omni is
so built as to allow you to walk in with a crescent wrench and go to
work. And - factory support is fantastic. If you can't find the answer,
a phone call to Sevierville will invariably get you on the right track,
and if parts are needed, they are in your mailbox in a couple of
days.

I work in communications as a profession, and can use any gear that
I choose. I choose the Omni-6 Plus - and homemade amplifiers.

Good luck with your choice.
de KL7HF