[TenTec] RE: Request for comments about 238 tuner

AE0Q V31RY v31ry@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:43:05 -0600

KR4MW wrote:
>I replied to someone earlier, and was under the impression that the
>MFJ-989 was (is?) a PI network tuner, the same as the SPC transmatch.
>Am I incorrect? It's been a few years since I sold it. Is a PI network
>and a T network the same? Perhaps I'm confused?

   Well yes, the T-match is a Pi circuit (the 989/949/941 tuners), but the
SPC is a funny variation on it and isn't the same thing.  It's got the extra
section of the split cap going to ground in parallel with the inductor and
it has very sharp tuning, compared to the 3-component T-match..
  I built a monster 'Ultimate Transmatch' 20 yrs ago, and have since rewired
it to the SPC circuit, they both use the same parts.

  I would definately like to see Ten Tec use a better balun in the 238,
theirs is still way too small for real high power.  And my dial lights keep
burning out every time I bump or move the tuner, hi..  Man, are THEY a pain
to replace (and find)!

  But the 238 sure looks nice with my Corsair-2, and does work well..

73  --  Glenn
"Remember, any tool can be the right tool!"   Red Green

     AE0Q / V31RY          ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK
  v31ry@ix.netcom.com   --SOWP 5558-M, ARRL LM, QCWA LM, NCVA--
http://www.qsl.net/ae0q