[TenTec] 238

Dale Pendleton ad4yh@nortel.ca
22 Sep 1997 10:57 EDT

>I believe that most MFJ tuners use the T network and TenTec uses a
>swtichable L network. L networks are know for their low loss while the
>losses in T networks can be quite high. Once a match is finally made by
>juggling the knobs and dials, the settings can be recorded for future
>use. The balun used in the MFJ is also inferior to TenTec's.Keep in mind
>that an "easy match" may be a lossy match. Perhaps pruning the feeder or
>antenna to make the match easier would result in lower tuner power loss.
>
>N4LQ Steve

Good explaination Steve -

I also have a 238 and have been very pleased with it. The L network
approach is much more efficient (less loss) at matching different
loads. There was an article in a recent QST about the different tuners
on the market. In many cases, the MFJs were quite lossey when dealing with
the upper end of the Z ranges, as well as on the lower frequencys.

Remember that the antenna tuner as we call it is just a variable impedance
transformer. You got to read the fine print.

73 ZUT de ad4yh