[TenTec] Resonance and more

Cook, Thomas A CookTA@corning.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:51:41 -0400

You are right on the nose.  ANY matching network's job is to transform
the effective resistance and cancel any reactance that would be
presented to a transmitter to (ideally) 50 Ohms resistive.  A *System*
may present 50 Ohms resistive only because of a matching network (which
will have its inherent losses too - see the recent tuner reviews in QST)
or a fortuitious combination of antenna geometry, location, material,
length of feedline, etc.  None of these address the antenna effiency
(which is heat loss), e.g., a *resonant* vertical will present 37.5 Ohms
resistive impedence to a transmitter (with half-wave xmission lines) IF
AND ONLY IF it is over a perfect ground.  Take a look at the ground
system for commercial BC stations.  With a less-than-perfect ground, the
resistive losses increase, the Q drops and the effective "usable"
bandwidth goes up.  This isn't always a bad compromise for a practical
system.   73, Tom - WA2BPE